RRaccoons are a pest species though they look like rodents. They are creatures of the night. They consume food while they are awake. Especially during the late spring and whole of summer, these panda bear look-alike will eat whatever they will find handy. They build a thick fat layer on their body to survive the cold winter months.
Keeping these raccoons out of the bird feeders can be quite challenging. They are stubborn opponents to resist. They can unhook or unscrew any things and get food.
This article will help you learn the tricks to save your bird seeds. It will also help you to keep raccoons out of the bird feeder.
Do Raccoons Eat Bird Seed?
Raccoons are not carnivores. They usually feed on small plants, fruits, bird seed, bird eggs, and sunflower seeds. They eat almost anything that they find handy.
How to keep Raccoons out of bird feeders
Keeping raccoons of out of the bird feeders is not an easy task to accomplish.
The pole tricks on how to keep raccoons away from bird feeders are listed below.
- Using a squirrel baffle for the pole-mounted systems: It is better to use a baffle which is approximately four feet above the earth. Raccoons cannot climb up so high, thus it is better to keep the bird feeders on a mounting pole.
- Not hanging the feeders from the trees: Raccoons can climb trees very easily. Thus it is not a good idea to hang the bird feeders from the trees if there is a raccoon problem in the area.
- Bringing the bird feeders inside during the night:Raccoon starts to look for food at night. In order to protect your feeders, you can bring them inside the house at night. Birds are not nocturnal. Thus it will serve the purpose of feeding the birds as well as protect feeders from raccoons.
- Cleaning up: Raccoons usually try to find any leftovers after the birds have eaten. But if you clean up after the birds have eaten, then raccoons will not come.
- Keeping it sealed:Keeping the feeders sealed is another way of protecting the bird feeders from the raccoons. The containers have to be tightly sealed to protect from, raccoons and other pests.
Stopping raccoons from climbing bird feeder: Building a raccoon proof bird feeder can help you to protect your bird feeders.
Few tricks of stopping Raccoons from climbing bird feeder pole are listed below.
Using the method of piping
Plastic piping can do wonders and help you succeed in your mission to protect your bird feeders. This will over time frustrate the raccoons and keep them away. You can use smooth piping around bird feeder poles. Raccoons won’t be able to grip on to the pipes and slide down.
- Using pest repellants
Using pest repellants are good ways to keep these animals away. Spraying these repellants on the ground and on the poles will help you to protect your bird feeders and keep raccoons away.
- Setting Traps
If the raccoons keep coming back, you can think of setting traps. There are many ways of setting humane traps which will not kill the raccoons. These traps can be purchased at the pet stores. Once trapped you can set the raccoon free in the forest or ask forest officers to collect them.
Raccoons can be disturbing and irritating at times, but you should never try to kill them. Though they can be quite persistent and keep on coming back to feed on the bird feeders, you can prevent them from coming and protect your bird feeders. The methods to keep them away are not impossible to achieve.