Cats can either be referred to as domestic or purebred. Some factors determine how popular a cat breed will be. This includes their physical appearances, temperament, being featured in popular movies and books, etc. Are you here to get information, research paper assistance or just wandering on the web? Anyway, here are the twelve most popular cat breeds.
- Siamese Cat
This cat is called Siamese because it originated from Siam, now known as Thailand. This breed has produced some other ones such as the Oriental Shorthair, Himalayan, and Sphynx. This breed’s main characteristic is unique markings called “points,” particularly on the face, feet, and tail. However, some cats in this breed don’t have points. There are two types of Siamese cats based on their size.
- Apple-shaped head and fat body
- Large head with slender body
Note that it was a Siamese cat featured in the Disney film titled “Lady and the tramp.”
- Persian Cat
Persians are also known as the Persian Longhair, the Shirazi cat, or the Iranian cat. They are named after Shiraz, Iran, and are also known as “smushed-face.” Their essential characteristics are
- Beautiful, long, fur coats
- Various colors
- Flat face in comparison with other breeds
- Coats that require regular grooming
- Prone to diseases.
- Maine coon cat
They are gentle giant cats that hail from the city of Maine. The breed is the city official Cathey, and they became popular in the 1970s. Their main characteristics are:
- Large statue and thick fur coats
- Extra toes, known as polydactylism
- Appear in any color, but the classic color is brown.
These are very docile cats. Their primary characteristics are:
- Pointed color patterns.
- Distinctive blue eyes with a dog-like nature
They are wild looking cats. And they got their name from an Asian leopard known as Prionailurus bengalensis bengalensis. Their primary characteristics are:
- Specific patterns with spots and rosettes only
- Markings that make them look more like wild animals
- They are talkative and require a lot of exercises.
They originated from Ethiopia, formerly called Abyssinia. Their main characters are:
- A distinctive red/orange agouti coat
- Agouti fur, implying that there are bands of light and dark coloring on the individual pieces of hair
- Come in cinnamon, fawn, and blue color
- Just like the Siamese and Ragdoll, they are a color pointed cat.
- They have blue eyes
- They possess a medium to long coat without an undercoat
- Oriental shorthair
If you look at a long distance, you would think it’s a Siamese cat. They are slender, just like the Siamese but a different breed. Their characteristics are:
- Green eyes
- Come in many colors and patterns
- Prone to skin cancer and cold because they have less fur
- Longhair variety also exists
They are well known for their lack of fur, so you don’t have to bother about fur shedding. They are very social cats and behave much more like a pet dog.
- Devon Rex
These have the nickname “Monkey in a catsuit” because of their activeness and playfulness. Their primary characteristics are:
- Wavy, short hair coat
- Slender body
- Soft fur
- Large ears
The Himalayans cats look so much like the Persians. They are a result of crossbreeding between the Persian cat and the Siamese. This is what gives them the Himalayan color print.
- American Shorthair
This is an American breed cat that is typically large and intelligent. People often mistake them for domestic or mixed breed cats. But they are purebred. They possess a round face and short ears.
So here we are – the 12 most popular cat breeds!